About Me Contact Adoption Stories My Grace filled Mess Image Map
Home Why Hire CAC Lactation Counseling More on adoption Image Map

Monday, September 17, 2012

Pancakes & Pajamas

Isabelle asked for a slumber party for her 7th birthday this year. Since I'm generally not a fan of little girls crying in the middle of the night and overall d-r-a-m-a, I tried to steer her another route. It worked this time and I'm hoping to eek out another ten years or so. We'll see.



We decided to have a "Pancakes & Pajama's" party and it was a hit. It was an easy theme to run with (thank you Pinterest).

"Eye Mask" invites

The funny thing is, I am not crafty. I have key Martha Stewart and mothering skills that are missing from my DNA (things like sewing and cooking and baking and generally being soft and quiet). Case in point: that fantastic banner you see in our dining room? Triangle quilt scraps on clearance stapled on twine. Pretty sure Martha would never do that. But I had a blast planning this easy party that we spent a total of $50 on. Win.

Pedis for the girls

The girls loved all the activities centered the slumber party and breakfast theme. I did pedicures for each girl, we played charades (the girls pulled little clouds out of a pillowcase for the clues), made fruit loop necklaces, and played dress up in the "photo booth" I created in our backyard. The little ladies also decorated frames and we had the pics printed for them to go home with.



Jamy made this amazing pancake birthday cake stack. You can find the recipe here. We've decided this will be a new birthday morning tradition since they were so yummy. We created a pancake bar with chocolate chips, fruit, and whipped topping. It was amazing and the girls loved building their pancakes. He also made these adorable "bacon and eggs."




What photo booth isn't complete without feather boas and lips?

Jackson even got in on the action.  You can see he's thrilled.



I'm not a fan of little bags of  junk "goodies" that eventually every mother throws out. So I decided to make the girls personalized pillow cases. This is how the conversation went with the clerk at the local craft store after explaining what I wanted to do:
Her: So what you want to do is a blah-blah-blah stitch around each letter (understand she did not say blah-blah-blah but this is definitely what I heard)
Me: Okay. What if I don't sew...
Her:  Sure. Then you just want to do a simple yadda-yadda-yadda stitch (again, pretty sure she didn't say yadda-yadda-yadda...)
Me:  Right. What if I really don't sew... 
We then came to a mutual understanding that I should outline with puffy paint full-on 80's style. I thought this was doable considering I mastered this art making sweet t-shirts and hats in girl's camp. I went with glow-in-the-dark paint which dried clear and was cheered by all the girls when they discovered it. Win for me for not sewing. What blah-blah-blah stitch can do that?!


Um, yes.  We let our daughter with an injured arm play in the bounce castle. At one point Jamy and I looked at each other, shocked upon realizing this, and then continued to let her jump with her friends. Luckily, no runs to Children's Mercy (that day).


Isabelle is already blessed with sweet little friends. I am blessed that there are only six girls in her class.  Although her best friend couldn't make it (ok - so we didn't deter all the drama). I love the thought of helping Isabelle create memories with these precious girls and her brother.

So, the Pancakes & Pajamas Party was a success. Now I have a year to think of how to celebrate my girl another year...

*For those of you wondering what happened to Bella's arm, that's coming in a post later this week (it deserves a post all of it's own...)



6 comments:

  1. What a great idea!! I love that you used puffy paint. I used to puffy paint EVERYTHING in elementary school, t-shirts, jorts, keds, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome pancakes and pajama party. Simply loved your party arrangements. Will plan Pajama style party soon. Recently went to my friend’s party at one of Venues in San Francisco where she threw an awesome party with perfect arrangements. Had a great time there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE THIS!!! How did you make the letters for the pillow cases? Did you cut those out of fabric yourself? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I actually cut them out myself :)

      Delete
  4. what are the letters on the pillowcases made of and how did you get them on the pillowcases....I do not sew :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The letters are made of fabric with an iron on interfacing on the back of them. So you just iron them on after cutting the letters out.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...