About Me Contact Adoption Stories My Grace filled Mess Image Map
Home Why Hire CAC Lactation Counseling More on adoption Image Map

Sunday, December 23, 2012

13 Years Ago Today

It's a Christmas tradition around here.  Every December 23rd we head to Fredrick Meijer Gardens as a family. 13 years ago I was dating a boy and he proposed to me under this gazebo.


I just wrote an entire blog on how we met and how we dated and how he proposed. But I just realized none of that matters much today so I deleted it. It's a good story. One with lots of romance and humor and DRAMA. But I'll save all that for another time.


For now I'm immensely grateful that Jamy asked me to marry him 13 years ago today. We went to the gardens this afternoon with Isabelle and Jackson. We had lunch together at the cafe and walked the gardens. We watched our kids look in wonder at the ornately decorated Christmas trees and hollered at them not to run too far ahead of us.  


And just like he always does, Jamy pulled me under the gazebo for a quick kiss among all the people and the Christmas music. It seemed more meaningful this year after everything we've been through.  

I realized I would say "yes" again.
I would say "yes" again to the memories we've made.
I would say "yes" again to the family we've created. 
I would say "yes" again to the traditions we've started.
I would say "yes" again to the joy we've had.
And I would even say "yes" again to the heartbreak we've been through.

All of these things have made our family who and what we are today. They've deepened our faith in Christ and in each other.  I've learned a few things since that day 13 years ago. I know more about who Jamy is. I know more about grace and forgiveness. I know more about patience and sacrifice. And I hope in another 13 years I'll know much more.  


I'm thankful God's dreams for our family were much grander than I could have ever dreamed. When I said "yes" to Jamy I assumed we would live a fairy tale. It turns out it was much different than I envisioned. But the story God is writing has been so much better.  

Saying "yes" to Jamy has been one of the best decisions I ever made. Merry Christmas Eve Eve, Babe. I'm so proud to be your wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...