About Me Contact Adoption Stories My Grace filled Mess Image Map
Home Why Hire CAC Lactation Counseling More on adoption Image Map

Thursday, November 1, 2012

My Yoga Pants and Jesus

I have this mini-obsession with yoga pants. I wear them most times I'm in the house and would definitely wear them most places out of the house IF they looked better on me (and were socially acceptable anywhere other than Walmart). I must confess that if you're on a professional call with me, I'm most often in yoga pants and a pony tail at my dining room table. (This is only one of the reasons why I have the best. job. ever.)


It's just that they're so dang comfortable. There's nothing like throwing on my yoga pants after a long day, grabbing a hot drink, and hunkering down on the couch with a blanket and a good book. My yoga pants are my prereq to settling in to an evening at home, a lazy Saturday morning, or watching a favorite show. There's something about my yoga pants that grants me contentment and coziness.

Wait. What? Yes: my yoga pants give me contentment. So much so that my comfort can easily become my idol.

I love to be cozy. I love to be comfortable and secure. I love knowing what to expect and what my day will hold. I thrive on knowing what's in my bank account and how to ensure things will go my way. 

BUT, I live in the real world where this doesn't always happen. On top of not being able to wear my yoga pants in public, I also can't ensure my comfort at all times (yoga pants or not). Harsh reality: Jesus doesn't care about my worldly comfort. He cares about bigger things.

Standing up for what I believe in.
Being attentive to God's plans for my day rather than my own.
Making time to read the Word and soak up real truth.
Following through on my promise to pray for a friend.
Taking the time to shepherd my children's hearts rather than give them instructions.
Listening to the Holy Spirit's direction.
Resting in the hope of an eternal kingdom.

These things don't feel luxurious or comfortable. Most of the time, they feel just the opposite. 

My ultimate comfort has to be found in Christ - the Comforter. Ease and convenience, although alluring, are not found in leading a life of surrender to Christ. True satisfaction and comfort come from giving up my comfortable life and living it for Him.  
And he said to all, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it."  (Luke 9:23-24)
Jesus cares way more about my heart than how I feel in my yoga pants.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...