About Me Contact Adoption Stories My Grace filled Mess Image Map
Home Why Hire CAC Lactation Counseling More on adoption Image Map

Monday, March 18, 2013

On What I Know for Sure

Life can be rough. I've been reading in Lamentations 3 a lot this past week. The entire first part of the chapter the prophet wrestles with his faith and unbelief under the weight of life's struggles. He's despondent, broken, and weary.

But then, everything changes in verse 21.  


There are times in my life I can relate. The times when hope seems lost and the brokenness of the world seems like it's so big it will swallow me up.

When these times hit, I need to remember the truth of the gospel. Rather than dwell on the suffering around me, I need to meditate and let these truths sink deep into my heart...way down into my soul.

God's love is steadfast

His mercies are new every morning

God's faithfulness is great

He is my portion and enough, therefore I will hope in Him

God is good to those who wait quietly and seek after Him

The beautiful thing is that the truth of who God is and his grace in my life doesn't detract from my suffering or dismiss it. Instead, hard times can serve a purpose. My suffering isn't wasted. I know this because He tells me so:

We rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not but us to shame because the Holy Spirit who has been given to us. Romans 5:3-5

I love the New American Standard Version of verse 5 that says "now hope does not disappoint." But this hope is not in things turning out the way I want them to, or what is "supposed" to happen, or even by me escaping trials.  

My hope is in Jesus, and this hope will never disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...