About Me Contact Adoption Stories My Grace filled Mess Image Map
Home Why Hire CAC Lactation Counseling More on adoption Image Map

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Just Call Me Suzie Homemaker

I finally did it. I caved and made my own laundry detergent a few days ago. If you would have told me a year ago I would be blogging about making our laundry soap like a farmer's wife I would have politely laughed behind your back. But here I am.



I've previously not made this for several reasons.

  1. I thought it would smell like antiseptic 
  2. I thought there's no way I could make it for less than what I bought it for
  3. I thought it would take crazy work

Some of you know I don't like to pay for things. For Heaven's sake, I haven't bought shampoo now for over six years. Laundry detergent is on the list of things I never pay full price for.

I'm also a stickler for scent. J recently came home with off-brand dryer sheets. Bless him. I have suffered through but I can't wait to get my hands on my beloved Bounce which smells like my mother and sunshine.

So when Gretchen (she's your bestie now too, right, since she's shows up around here a lot?) made this soap and gave me some to try, I became a believer. It smells amazing, is cheap and easy to make, and actually works.

Since this blog is already a mishmash of my life (adoption, family, and now laundry detergent), I decided to share the instructions for DIY laundry detergent. I'm a girl that needs step-by-step instructions when it comes to any kind of homemaking, so here ya go...


Supplied needed:
  • 1 (4 pound box) of Baking Soda 
  • 1 (3 pound box) of Super Washing Soda
  • 1 (3 pound container) of Oxi Clean
  • 1 (4 pound) Borax 
  • 3 bars of Fels Naptha Soap (try Kirks Castile Soap for sensitive skin)
  • 2 Gallon Glass Jar (or some other container)



Here comes the step by step detailed instructions (which is the best part of this):

  1. Shred the bars of soap (we used the food processor)
  2. Mix well (don't inhale too much Oxy Clean)
  3. Add 1/4 cup to your next load!


Starting Costs:
$ 2.24                   Baking Soda               
$ 3.24                   Super Washing Soda  
$ 7.52                   Oxy Clean                  
$ 3.38                   Borax                          
$ 0.97 each (3)     Fels Naptha                
$ 9.97                   Gallon Glass Jar      
$ 0.88                   Measuring Cups
$30.14                  Total                                    


This means that when I go to make it in the future (minus the jar and the measuring cups), just $19.29 for 128 loads of laundry. For our family, this will last us 8-10 months easy (*update* - this lasted my family for ONE YEAR!). And I did the math (something I admittedly never do except when it comes to shopping and saving). For the same amount of Tide detergent, it would have cost me $45. So instead of paying more than $0.35 cents a load, I'm spending $0.16 cents.

AND for 16 cents this city girl can feel a little granola.



2 comments:

  1. Does it all fit in that 2 gallon glass jar? Also, where does one get the Fels Naptha?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jos - it does fit in the 2 gallon glass jar! You'll be happy to know this can all be found at your fav store - Walmart :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...