About Me Contact Adoption Stories My Grace filled Mess Image Map
Home Why Hire CAC Lactation Counseling More on adoption Image Map

Thursday, October 3, 2013

I Love You More Than Cheese

"Mommy, Daddy, can you come here!?"


This happens half a dozen times a night after we read and said prayers and blessings and gotten water and tucked in and turned the music on.

But last week, Jackson pleas were a little different. 

After realizing that he wasn't going to give up, we called Jackson into the kitchen to see what was up. He came in, carrying a Sandra Boynton Song Book (a popular children's author who is endeared in our home for her silly books and songs). Within seconds, he had a quivering lip and big crocodile tears. He shared that he was upset after listening to a song about a dog who left his home to go on an adventure. It took Jamy a good 20 minutes to talk with Jackson, help him work through his feelings (assuring him that he wouldn't need to leave home anytime soon), and get him back to bed.


About 10 minutes go by and we hear another, "Mommy, Daddy, can you come here?"

Now, knowing our son is emotionally fragile, we rush to the room. And we find him in tears. Again.

"Mommy, Daddy, some songs make me cry because they make me sad and some songs make me cry because they make me happy.  I listened to this song and it made me think of how muchly you love me." 

Of course, my heart exploded right there.

Then he showed us the song he had been listening to: "I Love You More Than Cheese." 

Picture the scenes on the Cosby Show of an old woman in a night club singing for the cheese song genre. You can get a taste here


THEN, he asked us to listen to the song as a family. At this point, I'm already stiffling giggles. And I can tell from the corner of my eye Jamy is trying to make eye contact. I refuse knowing I'll totally break down and ruin the "moment" for our son. 

We're learning how tender Jackson's heart is. He's just beginning to holler, "I love you, Mom!" without me saying it first as he runs out the door, still loves giving hugs and kisses, and comforts his sister when she's sad. His sensitivity to Disney villains is staggering. We're praying he continues to have a heart that is both soft and strong, tender and brave.

But last night, I banned the Boynton Song Book after he wept over lonely peas.


Who knew that the kid's author Sandra boyton would create such turmoil in my son's night time routine. He is weeping over lonely peas.

P.S. I'm sorry in advance Jackson if your high school buddies find this before you do. But I'm pretty sure this will go down as a classic family story and I had to get it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...