About Me Contact Adoption Stories My Grace filled Mess Image Map
Home Why Hire CAC Lactation Counseling More on adoption Image Map

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Insert Cliche About Running [Here]

Running is the greatest metaphor for life, because you get out of it what you put into it. Oprah Winfrey

I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run, I feel His Pleasure. Eric Liddell, Chariots of Fire

And of course there's the Bible...

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 1 Corinthians 9:23-25

But these are actually my favorites:


  
Lately I've not been feeling super comfortable in my own skin. My jeans have been a little snug and I know I haven't been making the healthiest choices. (This a really nice way to sum up how I've been feeling for a long time...) Don't get me wrong. I'm feeling more and more comfortable in who God has made me to be and trusting him to be enough (rather finding my security in the right jean size or mirror image.) But I do want to be healthier.

But as I understand it, this takes work - the being healthier thing. And historically I hate to work out. I mean, I seriously abhor the gym, the videos, and the classes. And running? No way. It's not fun, it makes you sweat, and it hurts like the dickens. I've never been super sporty. I played basketball and volleyball until JV when things got a little too intense for me.  The extent of sports in high school? Pom Squad. (Before you snicker, it was awesome. Our Men in Black routine with black suits and shades was amazing. But pre-YouTube days so you'll never be able to fully appreciate it...)


All of this to say, I started running a few weeks ago. 

I use that term loosely. It's actually more of a mix of walking and jogging. Slooooowly.

I've been using the classic Couch to 5K app. Mind you, I currently have no crazy goals to run a 5K. MY goal is to run 5 minutes straight without feeling like my calves and lungs will explode. So far, so good. At the 5 minute mark nothing in or on my body has yet to explode. And the idea of running a 5K, or a half marathon is still insane to me.  I have friends who ENJOY running races on their weekends. I even have client who has done something crazy like run several marathons and a triathlon this last month. Crazy. Town.



Let me be clear: I still hate running. I've been running in a cemetery near our home. (Yes, it gave me the creeps too when I started but now I love the quiet and serene space.) It's been a good place for me to pray. Although, admittedly often my prayers are "Jesus, help me" over and over and over. I hate how I feel WHILE I'm running. But I love how I feel afterwards. Like I've accomplished something. Although I'm still alternating running and walking, I'm covering a solid couple of miles several times a week.

There's a certain accountability that comes with blogging. Maybe it's in my head, but if I blog that I plan to skydive next week or purchase a pig as a pet, I bet some of you would follow up with me.  Where's the pic of jumping out of the plane?  How's the pig working out?  

So, I'm putting it out there.  I'm running. I'm jogging. 

My goals: feel better about myself, take care of my body, and look good in running shorts. So far I'm batting 2 out of 3 and I'm on week four. 

Not bad for a girl who swore off running in gym class back in middle school.

1 comment:

  1. amen and amen! if ever I make it to the treadmill (where someone will watch my crazy 2yr old) my favorite part is the worship and prayer time. i despise the activity itself, but love the time. so go girl! you got it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...